Sunday, January 13, 2013

rain

sunday

temps in the 70s in january.
i need rain. but i need cold rain.
i love to walk in the summer rain. rinses away all the sweat and salt.
refreshing.
cold rain is different
 hypothermia.
 i'm a bit cold natured (to say the least). i'd like to know that my layering technique is satisfactory.
( i have no expectation of being comfortable in the cold rain, but i'd like to know i've narrowed the chances of dying in the cold rain.)
       wicking inner layer, insulating layer in the middle, wind and water resistant outer layer.
 i'll put turkey oven bags between my sock layers if it's below 40 or so. (don't laugh at turkey bags...bad mojo upon you doubters)
 "waterproof" boots and shoes are little feet ovens. (so are turkey bags above 50 degrees or so)
with turkey bags, my shoes are waterproof or ventilated as i desire.
the truth is "if it's raining, you're gonna get wet" either the rain itself or the sweat that's being trapped by your raingear....

i'll need the freshwater shower....i think my tent came with a heated towel rack.. : )

Monday
 Driving to work this morning its 42 degrees and pouring rain.. rained all night. There is nothing that has any dryness to it. I'm thinking "this is when I need to be out hiking!" Test the turkey bags rain pants and jacket...I'm still wondering how the gloves will work. I have weatherproof mitten shells that are gauntlet length....if they're under the sleeves then water will run up my arm if I lift my arm....if they're over my sleeve...water will constantly drip off my sleeve and fill my glove...I guess an occasional wet elbow is better than continuously wet fingers....

No comments:

Post a Comment