Saturday, July 6, 2013

Thursday July 4

Happy independence day!
The tyvek twins were up and gone by 430..crazy north bounders..almost done and ready to be.
Don sat up and I said"you don't really want to get up yet, do you?" He laid back down. Later when I was up, dressed, and packed, I asked him what time it was (I don't have a watch)...walking at 610am...so much for sleeping in a bit.
Still miles of mud, but diminished in places so that I could go around the edges in places and my feet remain relatively dry. Until i slip into ankle deep mud.
I'm wearing shorts and short sleeves as it's simply too hot for pants and sleeves. I hope the ticks are more affected by the deet than the mosquitos...
Sunny again today, but not much better. I'm still not walking with the light heart I once had. As i walk today, even amidst the sunshine, I know that the hike is done. When I find that I have a signal, I call for a shuttle to Stratton and feel such relief, knowing that I am headed home.

I have finished my 1100 mile hike of the Appalachian trail.
I am eternally grateful for all those who helped me along the way.
Pics:  4th of July lobster boil party with Sobos at the Stratton motel hostel; Finn, son of Joanna (owner and chef of Stratton diner, a true angel) and my dancing partner; we had to kick off our shoes to dance properly; me on the plane..happy to be headed home

No comments:

Post a Comment