Monday, June 24, 2013

Monday June 24th

Great nights sleep. 2 other hikers here: Line wolf and his yet UN named female companion...she is miserable and has had enough of trail life...I think they started last week. I heard her on the phone with an encouraging friend. Afterwards, I gave her my nickels worth: "if you're miserable, be done with it..."
She's done..but is going car camping this weekend...I'm jealous of that!

So, big news of today: I summited Katahdin today! 5.2 miles up, then back down....foggy and windy...no good views, and a bit scary to be quite honest..lots of rock scrambling...I'm so glad I've done some rock climbing before so that I wasn't frozen with fear as I'm sure others would be.

I got up at 5am, walked down to the cafe for a ham and cheese omelette, caught the 630 shuttle to Baxter state park...scored an awesome day pack from the ranger (Yves)...apparently he had some  relationship with the 80s show "fresh prince of bel air"...

Hitch hiked piece meal back to town: big thanks to the hikers from new Brunswick!!
Tonight, jugs and aloha here..nobos that summited to COMPLETE their thru hike...I'm certainly more excited than they are...she said "I'm just tired"...

A young man and his dad are starting their thru hike..will summit Katahdin tomorrow...lone wolf (who may change his name to curly due to his head full of curls..)will start Sobo again soon...
Pics: me..happy and tired; the last toilet on the AT...wish I remembered the first one; AT sign; foggy mtn; white lady slipper

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a great restart! May the trail be smooth and the breezes gentle as you make your way south.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Laura!!!!!! wait, you are hiking back? impressive :) big hugs!

    ReplyDelete