Sunday, June 23, 2013

Tuesday June 4

An interesting array of people here..as usual. A lady and her brother here to section hike together, using the hostel as a base camp. A few other folks in their 60s doing the same thing. They all seem really nice. Thru hikers I recognize: the young couple from Austin, TX that interviewed m80 & trooper at the campground. Other thru hikers here that I don't know and probably won't see again since I'm leaving the trail for a few weeks.

I only grabbed a flat sheet for cover last night and I woke up cold...all I could find to use for warmth (without actually getting out of bed) was my towel I'd hung up to dry....it worked well enough for the few hours of sleep I had left....
Up early to get going! Only 4 miles to family!
After I've  eaten, brushed my teeth and packed, I'm ready. Except my trekking poles are missing. This is where I put them and they are not there. I can't walk without my poles. I've forgotten how to do reciprocal arm swing without using poles...no thru hiker would have taken them as we want our stuff and we know where it is. The scattered section hiker must have picked them up accidentally...she did put toothpaste on her toothbrush then wrap it inside a tshirt and put it in her pack..then spent 10 minutes searching frantically before she found it....yeah, my money is on her..but she is long gone...I called the hostel owner that is shuttling her. He arrives 45 minutes later with my poles. In the meantime, I get to hang out with a new guy, Lush. He and I walk together to front royal, VA. My family greets me as we have all arrived at the same time. The pole fiasco made the timing perfect! I will be returning to the trail towards the end of June...I'll let you know how lovely the grand canyon was....
Pics: Lush; the nephews and their sweet mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment