Sunday, February 24, 2013

Food

Today I decided to see if I could fit 7 days of food in my pack (without removing anything else...I do need all that stuff)
7 days of food weighed exactly 10 pounds. Was that enough food? Too much food? It's very interesting to have 7 days worth of food laid out in front of you. It really doesn't look like much...too bad I didn't think to take pictures...
  Have you ever thought about how much you eat in 7 days? Try it.    Really. Could you fit it in a stuff sack? In all fairness, my stuff is dehydrated....let me know how much a weeks worth of hydrated food weighs ....my menu isn't really spectacular (except for dinner): homemade instant oatmeal breakfast (customized flavors, of course) or homemade granola with blueberries and powdered milk...;
Lunch is a toss up of jerky, cheese, other "snacks" (which double as morning and afternoon "snacks"): goo bars (no bake peanut butter bars), granola, fruit leather,GORP variations, candy bars.
Throw in a few gatorade powders, some tea bags for after dinner, coffee for breakfast, protein powder for dessert and you've got it! My wonderful dinners are the highlight....I've been dehydrating my favorite meals for 5 months....yummy.   Plus there will be good spots to rest and eat along the way.I plan to eat one meal in town per week for some fresh, raw fruit and salad...
Holy crap I'm going on a really long walk very soon...aaaahhhhh..keep in touch!
One days worth and 7 days worth: (yes that is 2 yard sticks at a 90° angle for reference...I watch CSI  too!)

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the "great adventure". So if I am able to join at some point i'll just plan on eating from your pack?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7 days worth of goo, gorp, and granola! Mmm! Not :) -all these years and you haven't converted me yet

    ReplyDelete