Sunday, March 10, 2013

Day 4 Unicoi to Addis gap

Saturday march 9, 2013

The original plan for today was to hike 17 miles...but after  hiking our butts off for 14 miles yesterday, we decided 17 was just too many for today....not enough daylight or leg energy...
So off we trekked from unicoi gap...uphill for a ways...we met up with a little trail magic at tray mountain gap...BSA troop 605 out of Baldwin, GA was serving up pancakes..had a Nice warm fire going (to dry my hands after washing with real soap and water)...
I love pancakes on the middle of nowhere...go boy scouts! If I'd had my wits about me, I would've shown them my official cubscout  flashlight that my pal Michael gave me to use on the trail (it was safe in my pack the whole time)
We met up with a few thru hikers today:
one bell; a couple from Montana that we leapfrogged with all day...
Up and over rocky mtn & tray mtn ..then we had to decide which way to walk on the fire service road to meet up with our ride...it was to be a 1 mile walk and we didn't want to go the wrong way..that would've been a 3 mile mistake. We chose the right direction, thank goodness...
Lots of rocks and sunshine, less mud and ice...all beautiful : )

2 comments:

  1. The pictures are great! I am just starting to really understand the crazy,scarey,don't make any common sense act of bravery you are showing. You must feel like you are on top of the mountain (smile). I thought about you guys when I came across a sign at a yardsale. "The best thing about the mountain is that you are closer to God"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    I've been thinking about you this weekend.
    Ok with a little bit of envy, but mostly with admiration.
    You are definitley the coolest Alto that I know!
    We missed you at practice tonight..we could have used you as we were hitting those low notes in Chorus # 6.

    "Dien wir haben hie keine bleibende Statt "....

    You would have gotten a kick out of watching the exchange between Phillip and Gerda as she was helping us with the
    German pronunciations. He was his usual delightful self.

    So I am enjoying reading your postings so far..sounds like yall are doing great so far..getting your feet wet..ha.
    There is one thing you must tell me though..
    What does it mean to be leapfrogging with the thru hikers?!
    And is it legal?!
    Hope you have a good nights rest.looking forward to hearing what happens in the next coming days!

    ReplyDelete