Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sunday march 17

Happy St patricks day! I was hoping for some green beer trail magic today, but I got an even better surprise! A guy named fresh ground had set up camp and was serving up hot dogs, chicken noodle soup with French bread, salad and dressing, fresh fruit, coffee and hot chocolate...it was a nice break in the 11 mile day...I had 2 cups of soup with bread &  2 cups of coffee mixed with hot cocoa powder (aka trail mocha)..delicious!
30 of us got dropped off this morning and immediately scattered into our groups...you know all those young folks belting out the 20 mile days took off never to be seen again, then there's the middle bunch that cruise along at 2ish mph(that's us) and then the creepers that arrive at the same destination, just a bit later (we've been there, too)
I woke up during the night sometime with my left knee aching...I think I stretched a little too vigorously after my little 3 mile hike yesterday...I took some ibuprofen and it was fine all day today, but no severe downhills, either.
Zags knee was pretty sore the second half of today..she cooled it down with cold stream water when we got to the shelter this afternoon (the first thing I do when I arrive is go get the water for the night and next day to save a trip back to the water source in the morning)
We ate all the food we could hold for dinner and still didn't eat todays alloted amount..damn trail magic!
Fresh ground also had a scale...my pack weighed 36# with nearly 2L of water & 5 days worth of food.
Interesting sights today:
Forest of dead trees due to some disease?
Stone tower at wayah bald
Rain expected early in morning so I I've got my turkey bags ready...so glad to be in the shelter so I don't have to deal with a wet tent...
people I've meet the last few days:
John, retired navy
Old Goat
Prayer walker (who was day trading with Dixie grits....remember him? I heard that several people are using him for that while on the trail...)
Donny (pipes)..I also started calling him scorch  as he burned his eyebrows trying to light his pipe...)
Some guy with a ferret...(Domino)
Dinner tonight: protein drink cocktail, oatmeal appetizer, curry chili entree..yum

1 comment: