Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday, march 15, 2013

last night we stayed at Carter gap shelter..we met up with 2 nice guys that are here from California to hike the AT: pilgrim and trekker...they were going to get up at 615 am to get an early start to make it all the way to Franklin, NC today...16 miles or so...Nevermind that it was dark at 615, it was also cold... hard to get out of that bag..it was the first time we slept in the shelter. A positive experience. No mice activity that we were aware of..we hung our food bags on mice string just to be safe. (I'll give a tutorial on that later)
we hiked our butts off today and still couldn't catch those old men..I'm sure it's because their legs are so long! They ended up 3 miles ahead of us and we all got picked up by the same shuttle van and are at the same hotel tonight in Franklin.  our sleeping bags rested out in the sunshine while we showered and did laundry...I want you to think about what clothing I could have possibly worn while I did laundry....yes, my rain jacket, some leggings that I've only slept in, and my beige Crocs with the orange strap...".I'm sexy and I know it....I hike"
I even walked to some gas station for beer in that outfit....zag and I sat outside the motel room in strappy plastic chairs, watching the sun set and drinking a beer (that we poured into our nalgene bottles so we wouldn't get in trouble) waiting for laundry to finish...it was great..our toes were tape free, bathed and were airing out in the sunshine...a healing moment, for sure..
Well, it's off to bed after dinner at the local steakhouse....we'll see if we make it out of here tomorrow or not..got to go
to the outfitters in the morning for a few odds and ends. Then to the post office to hopefully send some stuff home and have lighter packs..my feet are starting to complain...pictures are: "vista" trail..morning sun peeking through...the actual vista, zag getting water at a lovely stream..I decided I needed a little refreshment here, too, in the form of rinsing my face and hair and my bandana, which I then used to bathe My torso and pits....so nice...
Good night, all...

1 comment: