Saturday, March 16, 2013

First Nero day

Nero = near zero
We had to stay one more night in Franklin as the outfitter didn't open until 10am...so we spent the morning sorting out our food and gear situation; figuring how to not carry more food than needed..sounds easy, right? I'll say I overestimated what I would need.
We also filled a box to send home: thick fleece leggings (the ones I walked through town in last evening), my long sleeved zip neck shirt (every time I've worn it, I took it of as I got too hot while hiking)..the awesome knife I got for Christmas as I was just carrying it around in my pocket,( more knife than I need), my Sawyer bag for the water filtration system sprung a leak, so my extra platypus bag will take it's place..

so with less food, less clothing and gear I prob lost 2-3 pounds (which my knees will appreciate on the next downhill) 

  at about 11am we caught a ride back up to Wallace gap (where we ended yesterday) and hiked the 3 miles that our bodies simply would not do yesterday. A sunny, warmer day..breezy. I only carried water, a few snacks and emergency kit in my pack..we avg'd  2 mph, not bad considering the long steep ascent...another first today: we hitched a ride to and from the drop points...the locals are super hiker friendly...got a good local history lesson to boot!
This afternoon we visited 2 local outfitters: 76 outdoors, the guys there were very helpful, even let us use their computer to print out usps shipping labels & use their packing tape to seal the boxes.
We had to check out a little pub that our  ride up to Wallace gap told us about: rathskellars; we had a cider and a spinach, mushroom, & provolone sandwich on homemade bread..very much like a miniature calzone..
This afternoon we took the shuttle down to Walmart and the other outfitters....we bought fresh fruit and spinach for dinner tonight. We also purchased 1/2 gallon of chocolate soy milk which a drank while sitting out front waiting for the shuttle to return....
Tonight we've been trying to catch up with communication, find the slow leak in zags air mattress (unsuccessful), and enjoying our final rest before a hot the trail first thing in the morning...destination is 9 miles.. tenting it tomorrow night..expecting rain on Monday or Tuesday...another learning experience...
Pics are of us hitching a ride from winding stair gap back to town, zag soaking her feet in trash cans with Epsom salt water while her new compression shorts dry in the sun...
Another beautiful day in the mountains

5 comments:

  1. So... if you send your leggings home, what will you wear on wash day? I have a mental picture of your wandering about with your silk bag liner wrapped around you like a toga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zag DID wear her silk liner like a toga while the laundry was going...she wouldn't allow a photo...

      Delete
  2. Fascinating reading!!! Keep it coming. I would say I miss you but I feel like I'm with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the makeshift leg soakers!

    ReplyDelete