Sunday, March 31, 2013

Wednesday march 27

After being dropped off at 950am by jp, the clever  and entertaining Fontana shuttle driver, we heaved on our packs, foreign as they were after 4 days without them. I had to relearn how to walk steadily with my old friend.

We walked a few miles on pavement, starting at Fontana dam. Hydroelectric plants are always a little scary to me. Everything is so HUGE.  We could look down the tubes where the water goes through down to the turbines. The flow rate must be in the  several million gallons per second  Like some great abyss...not something to fall into over the relatively flimsy rail ...
our destination was 5.6 miles to birch springs campground (aka Gsmnp campsite 113)  not a long distance, but slow going in the snow Zag was having some shooting pain in her right foot with each step, i honestly expected her to tureen back any minute. One time i thought she and goat had turned back, but they called back out to me eventually. ( "hooty hoo" is the secret forest call of serious thru hikers)  . Streak and I got to camp about 130. We had to scrape the snow  off our tent sites. There was nice afternoon sunshine..good southern exposure..made for an hour or so of good rest in my tent, allowing me to warm up and dry out shoes and socks before zag and goat arrived. I cooked dinner and ate@ 330 & was asleep by 630.  some other hiker came in near dark and camped down by the stream. A little paranoia regarding bears in the smokies, but slept as well as usual...tomorrow the destination is Spence field shelter.
Pic is socks hanging on hiking poles to dry in the sun....looking out my tent door...

No comments:

Post a Comment