Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Friday April 19

Left the  vango hostel at 815 and made it 6 miles to Moreland gap shelter@10:15 woo hoo 3mph! Never did storm last night..could've made it to this shelter last night! Oh well.  So the approaching storm this morning motivated us to walk so fast! we waited the storm out in the shelter with "steps"( nice lady from Indiana section hiking) for 5 hours. I had just enough cell coverage and battery to text a little and play "words with friends" I love that game. It was nice to just wrap up in my rain gear, hunker down in the back of the shelter and let it rain..so relaxing..I probably would've napped if I hadn't been distracted with my electronic device.
Zag and I left the shelter about 3 pm and made it to the kincora hostel at 545...did laundry and showered, ate one of my dehydrated meals for dinner (couscous with veggies and spicy chicken meatballs). We retrieved our resupply box and bounce box when Seiko finished all the shuttle runs to town. Shutter bug is here and will forward our bounce box to Damascus for us in the morning. This place is owned buy a guy named bob peoples, some sort of local legend. He does trail maintenance and has been a huge friend to the hiking community for years and years. Really neat hostel..feels good..good energy.
Folks here: shanty town, toast & rusty (today is toast's birthday and rusty made her dinner and a little birthday cake) hammer and mallet (I did their laundry...so I could get mine done..nice guys..hammer looks like Stephen Fletcher (yoga instructor and massage therapist at home)
Tomorrow to 428.6..watauga lake shelter from 416.8 Dennis cove road.up and over a 2000 ft mtn.
Pics: me at milepost  404 at turnoff for Vango hostel,  AT sign at most road crossings,

No comments:

Post a Comment