Monday, April 1, 2013

Monday, April 1, 2013

Zero day in gatlinburg:
Up at 8, put laundry back in the dryer...amazing how much quicker stuff dries when the dryer isn't stuffed...
Went to Bennett's for ayce breakfast buffet(I've never eaten so much FRUIT @ an ayce buffet...), to walgreens for snacks since our food box is in postal limbo, picked up prescription (pharmacy not open till 11am  and was closed all day yesterday (Sunday)....hence the zero day. We went back by the noc outfitters for zag to get a belt as her pants are practically falling off (streak had to just get new pants)
I bought a little carabiner for hanging my pack from the shelter rafters. I  borrowed one from Streak the other night for this purpose and it worked out great. When the shelters are crowded, there aren't enough nails to hang all the packs. One solution is to make a loop of cord, hang it over a rafter and attach your pack with a carabiner. This works out great because all your stuff is right there in front of you, contained in your pack rather than scattered around you or hanging across the room from you...no need to put on your shoes to go get that one little thing you forgot you'd need..don't even have to get out of your toasty sleeping bag if you planned especially well! Still have to hang food outside and go to the privy, though...I find myself not drinking to avoid midnight privy runs, especially in all this slushy crap...I do NOT want to get my dry socks wet...

So, because we're super geniusea, we decided to look up package delivery confirmation after we had already purchased more food..we took the chance and rode the town shuttle over to the far edge of town to the PO.
.turns out our package was being held hostage at the post office.... So to celebrate, we went to the supermarket across the street and zag got a 2 piece fried chicken lunch, to the liquor store for a little something to warm up the cold shelter nights, then back to the bustling downtown scene of gburg
After an early dinner at mellow mushroom, we came back to the hotel, sorted out the food.(I have 7 days worth..easily enough to get to hot springs, NC) we're packed and ready to roll out at 8 am sharp...my trail angels are taking me back up to newfound gap and sending me on my way....our destination for tomorrow is  pecks corner shelter 10.4 miles..next shower is at standing bear hostel, past Davenport gap..out of the smokies at last this week...it's been memorable!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment