Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Saturday April 20

We passed the 420 mile mark on 4/20...how exciting, right? Doesn't take much to thrill a thru hiker...
Left the kincora hostel at 830
We started our day by hiking down to laurel falls..fun hike. I enjoy a little rock climbing every note and then..a bit tricky with a pack on, though. After passing the falls, it was up and over one hill..pond flats...had lunch there at 12:30...I've been trying to hang my shirt on my hiking poles during lunch so the sweat can dry..I put on my green jacket and sit in the sun out of the wind so I don't get cold. If it's warm enough, I'll hang my socks out too and let my toes and shoes air out...if there's a log handy, I'll stretch out on my back and let my arms hang back to stretch my chest....today I just hung out my shirt.
Shanty town came in a bit later and whistler gave me a boiled egg..yum. I like eggs just about any way you prepare them. Potatoes, too..hard to mess up either one.
Wandered down the mtn to watauga lake where I found a little trail magic (it is Saturday) of fresh fruit: banana, navel orange, herseys dark chocolate nuggets with almonds, caprisun juice drink..ate one of each and took an orange and banana with me for tomorrow.
I walked with star man from the lake to the shelter. The trail was flooded by the high lake level..several foot bridges were submerged in 6 inches of water so we had to walk on the road a bit to get around the lake. Star man just ate dinner at the shelter then walked on a bit more so he could get to Damascus sooner.
Tonight it's me, zag, shutter bug. M80, trooper and willow caught up with us tonight at the shelter..they tented, of course, still attempting to avoid the virus...and because of willow.
There is a meteor shower this week, we may try to see it if we awaken during the night.
Tomorrow we will go 14 miles from here (426.8) to iron mtn shelter(440.8) lunch at Vanderventer shelter (434)
Pics: me crossing bridge on the way to laurel falls; zag in front of the falls; star man having dinner at the shelter & my little spot all set up...

No comments:

Post a Comment