Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Friday April 26

So hard to get out of bed at 7 am for our 8am shuttle pick up. This little room at the Montgomery homestead has been so nice. Two twin beds with spindle posts, an enameled table between the beds and a floor lamp beside each bed. Very cozy, comfortable, homey...can you tell I didn't want to leave? Susie Montgomery runs the place and she was delightful.  She used to babysit for a woman that taught school in my hometown of Tallassee, Al. I don't often meet folks that know about my little hometown.
Gypsy Dave picked us up, gave us a driving tour of Damascus, then dropped us off where the AT Crosses hwy 58 just after lost mtn shelter. We hiked from mile marker 483.8 to 494.9, Thomas knob shelter. Morning break at buzzard rock, with techie and smiles. Lunch at elk garden with those two and Kay fox (we met her at the barn shelter), a new guy: Disciple  (startling resemblance my friend Joe Imp.) and his beautiful black dog Koi; Titan a young guy doing way too many  daily miles (30 ) and his body isn't liking it...go figure.  Afternoon break at Brier ridge. I say on a rock and just looked around..so beautiful and peaceful through here. Zag and I had dinner together on a rock behind the shelter..gorgeous views...big surprise today: ponies! I didn't expect them until tomorrow when we go through Grayson highlands..there were several red and white ones milling about the trail as I got close to the shelter, then there was a black once that was clearly no stranger to hikers with food at the shelter.
This is certainly one of the most scenic sections of the trail. Gentle climbs up whitetop  and Mt. Rogers. There were the most day- and weekend hikers on the trail..lots of foot traffic, the most I've seen on a Friday..nice to see so many people out and about..I bet it'll be crazy tomorrow. I hope there's not too much irresistible trail magic. I need to eat the food on my back! My food bag is extra heavy because I put a lot of birthday treats in there! Dinner tonight was mountain house new Orleans style rice with shrimp and ham; raspberry crumble for dessert. Thanks Rebecca and Byron! It was yummy!
Tonight there are a couple of older redneck men staying at the shelter. Smoking like trains (we actually had to tell them to not smoke in the shelter), taking about their illustrious "partying" career here and there..ugh. I finally had to put my earplugs in as they kept chatting it up at full volume and even got into an argument about something..Why thru hikers dread shelters on the weekend...
Philosophical thought of the day: that which I'd in your path becomes an obstacle when you're carrying a heavy burden, otherwise it's merely a stepping stone.
Pics: smiley being inspected by the shelter pony; view from dinner on rock behind shelter

No comments:

Post a Comment