Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sunday April 28

Slept at old orchard shelter last night. I woke up sometime during the night drenched in sweat..it was dripping off the ends of my hair..wringing wet. But I didn't seem hot...I didn't feel bad (like a fever)..is this menopause or was I just having a weird thermoregulation issue? Humid and I'm in a 15 degree down bag..? I had to get up and walk to the privy to air out...when I got back to the shelter, I just used the silk liner for cover.
Up at 730am...out at 830. Hard to get moving when it's training. 5  miserable miles to hurricane mtn shelter. The off brand  athletic tape absolutely does not hold if it gets damp..comes off like wet spaghetti..the wet spaghetti inn my shoe tore the wet meat off my 4th toe on my right foot just as I  was approaching the shelter. After I took of my shoes and socks and fished all the soggy tape out, I was cold and shivering. I didn't want to hobble over to my pack to get my warm jacket because I didn't want to get any shelter
funk on my raw toe meat..thank goodness zag arrived and, quite literally saved my life. She made hot tea for me, have me my warm puffy jacket and some dry socks and a hug.  We ended up having an early lunch there, then walked together. We also decided to stay in Troutdale at the baptist hostel to be warm and dry for the night. This was my most miserable moment thus far. What made or even worse was that I had cell signal for the first time in a few days so I called home. Of course I started crying...my poor family. Hot flashes, crazy emotions...
We walked until we got to the highway at dickey's gap. Don't ever rely on one of us for hitching a ride. We must look awfully dangerous. Finally we just started walking down the side of the road. When I had signal, I called the hostel and they came to get us ( only 2 miles at that point). Titan and "Dan's brother" were  there. Showers attached to the back of the old baptist church Hostel bunkhouse  a separate building up on the hill. 2 sets of bunks in each room. I did laundry in the shower and hung it up in the room to dry.
I trimmed the loose skin of my toe, put a band aid blister dressing over the red raw meat, and wrapped it up with leukotape . Ahhh, much better.
Mary and Ken Riggins run the place. She brought her Sunday dinner leftovers for zag and I to eat (the guys had actually gone to eat with them at their house):
Spaghetti, chicken, green beans, cheese biscuits, no bake cookies.
  In the evening, a guy showed up on a bicycle (hiker &cyclist hostel). Sungduk just got his masters degree in geology from UNC, to start PhD in earth sciences in San Jose, CA in 2 months..so he thought he'd bike cross country.
We listened to This American Life podcast for a few hours.
About 9pm, we were hungry again and cooked up some hiker food : mountain house beef stroganoff.

Turned on the fan and slept like a baby.
Pics: titan and sungduk; sunset through the window; disciple (koi is his sweet black velvety dog) .

No comments:

Post a Comment