Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wednesday April 17

Zag and I walked together all day and it was nice. Woke up at 5am to the sound of pouring rain on the barn roof...no leaks noted from my spot in the hay loft. I waited until about 8 when the rain let up a bit so I could go out to pee without getting soaked..the sun actually came out as we were packing up. Here's the trail messing with us again: a soon as we started walking (we didn't make it 100 yards) not only did the skies open up with a deluge of rain,BUT we had the additional fun of thunder and lightening. You know what we did....we turned around and high tailed it right back to the barn. No fried owl for brunch today! We sat on the back platform and played cards (hearts) with rusty & toast; UV, bean & mazy just hung out and watched the storm roll over. Big Yank had left a few minutes before us so I know he got drenched in his kilt! It was spectacular to watch the colors in the valley change as the sky morphed from sunny to rainy to foggy mist.
We finally left about noon.and walked 9.9 miles to mountain harbor b&b. On the way, we climbed up and over little hump and hump mtn and the rest was down hill. Typical beautiful mountain terrain. I showed zag a blood root flower and we wondered what these budding trees alongside the trail are..
   We were racing the clock a bit due to the weather delayed start...there is a 5 pm shuttle to the town of Roan, TN, for dinner, etc and we arrived at 445... We were able to shower first as there were too many hikers to fit in the back of the pick up truck..so he had to make a few runs..I believe that man was intoxicated...but we made it. Ate some great bbq at highlander's. Of course our eyes were bigger than our bellies...I always try to eat some fresh produce..so I ordered the"shredded lettuce" salad...had to bring it back to the house. Some how I found room for a root beer float, though..funny how that happens, huh?
Walked up hump mtn a bit with "chaser".
At the hostel tonight: rob, bearfoot, librarian (was also at barn..a bit opinionated) UV & family, big Yank tenting outside;
Laundry done while we were at dinner..$3 and totally worth it.
To have a deluxe breakfast in the morning & looking forward to it.
I found a pair of marmot leggings in the hiker box..I will sleep in them and may walk in them underneath my shorts.
Zag and I reworked our plan to increase the miles this week as the terrain profile is flattening out a good bit. Not FLAT by any means, but much better... Should be in Damascus on my birthday!
Pics: resident billy goat at mtn harbor; budding tree common along trail; storm rolling in over barn shelter valley;mazy

No comments:

Post a Comment