Sunday, April 14, 2013

Thursday April 11

Walked out of camp at 727am. Lovely sunrise this morning. Severe storms expected this afternoon and tonight so well be racing the weather to get to our destination 15 miles away.
we ended up walking 16.8 miles as locations are not marked very well in north Carolina..gaps are marked only if there is a road crossing. Well, if there is a road, it's a good landmark...it's the gaps in the middle of nowhere that I'd like some signage! All that to say, our destination wasn't obvious so we walked right by...m80 stopped when he got tired, I stopped when I found them, zag stopped when she found us and goat gave out before he got to us. What made it worse is that there was to be no water  so we all stopped and got water at the last known available source..making the last 2 miles even worse...tired, feet already sore from the miles, add 10 extra pound of water and try to outrun the approaching storm...we did it, though. Exhausted, I pitched my tent as taut as possible in anticipation of wind and rain. I was not disappointed. This time of year, all the hardwood trees are naked of foliage and there are many many trees fallen....who knows which ones standing are alive or dead? Figuring out where to not put my tent so that a widow maker doesn't get me during the stormy night is another issue.
Again with the down sleeping bag..I didn't get it out until I knew it was safe. I had my cover on my pack, turned on it's side at the foot of my tent.., my shoes were turned on their side in the vestibule to block the wind....everything went well..no leaks!
Pics: lovely scenery from my walk today: a meandering trail, steps over a barbed wire fence at the road crossing, a break under the tree...

No comments:

Post a Comment