Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Friday may 3

Chestnut knob (565.2) to Jenkins shelter (575.2).
Zag and I walked together until lunch. Caught up to granbob, Sammy, and his guide at lunch. I walked alone after lunch and arrived at Jenkins at 2pm. Emit to the creek and rinsed my hair 3 good times, washed my upper half with soap and water (always a treat, the baby wipes just aren't the same),  alas, the bottom half got the baby wipes...

This morning, granbob suggested I try his blister prevention method: Vaseline between the toes. So I did. Kept me from having to tape each toe, which is irritating my skin, anyway. I have to say I like it. I really thought it would feel nasty and greasy. All I can say is my pigs are happy! Here I have been wondering how to keep my toes from giving one another blisters...duh! Just lube 'em!

Tonight, people just kept showing up at the shelter area: smiley, handstand, big Yank, rooster (we'd only heard of him, but he lives up to his name. Hair-do, strut, even crows at will), granbob, the Virginia creepers, peepaw (haven't seen him since he was sick before Erwin, TN), K fox (we called her the librarian when e didn't know her name..met her at the barn shelter). He thru hiked last year? A guy I'd only seen on squatch's DVD: animal (the guy that carried the 5 gallon bucket all the way to Katahdin) animal is an interesting guy. He knows how to forage. He showed us winter green leaves and berries, pine tips, told us about how to make acorn flour and that grubs taste like peanut butter if you heat them briefly in butter (not too long or they'll explode). Sammy and his guide. Sammy feel today and had a nice bloody gash on top of his head. It was suggested that he clean it and cover it until he could get to town...I think he tried to clean it with an alcohol prep, but wouldn't cover it.
Big crowd tonight but everyone settled down quickly and went to sleep...Ahhhhhh thru hiker bedtime is early.

The plan tomorrow is to hitch into Bland, VA to the dairy queen. That's as far as we've planned.
Pic: a lovely rock..we saw several of these. Anyone know why this rock has this interesting pattern?

No comments:

Post a Comment