Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sunday may 12

They pushed us out onto the trail, kicking and screaming, in Pearisburg...right where we had gotten off the trail last Wednesday....I tried to convince zag to start outside of town...she'd have none of it. So we trudged through 2.4 miles of industrial fumes with nothing to show for it except purist satisfaction and irritated respiratory tracts.
   We walked 19.7 miles today to pine swamp shelter (650.1)  The strangest/most fascinating thing today: gliders kept flying along the ridge. Probably 2 per hour. No engine, but I could hear the whine of air disturbance as each one approached quickly from behind. Even when I was as prepared as I could be, I was never fast enough to catch a still shot. I did get a brief video, but can't post on here.
Since i sent my winter sleeping bag and puffy jacket home, it's supposed to be 30 degrees for the next 2 nights! I'll just put on my thin wool pjs and socks & get in my 40 degree bag...
New characters in the trail drama tonight: Phoenix, a cancer and frostbite survivor...back on the trail and determined!
Professor..lots of social questions I just wasn't in the mood to answer...

happy mothers day to all...
Pics: until next time...; new fern emerging in a circle; squaw flowers?

1 comment: