Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Tuesday April 30

Partnership shelter (530.6) to Relax Inn Atkins, VA (542.2)
Lunch at chatfield shelter (537.7) with "Granbob" from Douglasville GA. I took the opportunity to  triple rinse my hair in the creek...always a treat...not as good as hot brownies and cold milk, but a treat nonetheless!

Since the hike was coming along well, I decided to stop by the settler's museum. I didn't actually pay and take the tour, but I did use the new fangled flush toilets and washed my hands with soap and hot water flowing from an indoor faucet.

Made it to the Relax Inn. Mallet, hammer, Granbob, and someone I've never met : buddhist Jim were there.
Did laundry and walked over to the sunoco gas station for beer and snacks before dinner. No fat tire beer, so I ended up with bud light lime and some chips...afternoon fun: sit outside the room on a bench, have a beer, watch the sleeping bags soak in the sunshine, check the laundry and play words with friends.
The relax inn is a "budget" motel. It reminded me of the place in Franklin, TN. (The place where zag soaked her feet in the trash cans as she sat outside in the plastic chair and I went to get beer in my rain suit).
"budget" means don't expect a lot for your $50. Hot water, flush toilet. Clean, but old, linens. Itty bitty soap slivers and shampoo in little tear-open  condiment  packages. There are several areas of cracked bathroom tile, moldy caulk and grout. Tub and fixtures wear the patina from a lifetime of service. Friendly and helpful staff. All this to say: perfect for thru hikers.
Dinner was hiker food as we didn't want more gas station snacks, the local restaurant (the barn) didn't look open, and eating our food would lighten our packs. I know it doesn't seem so, but anticipating how much food I'll need has been tricky. I always seem to have a little bit left when I pick up my resupply box. I guess that's better than running it of food! So we generally have to eat a bit more after a resupply. I will NOT put any of my home dehydrated food in the hiker box. I'd I have extra had station food (left over chips and beer today) I'll give it to another hiker.
Tomorrow the plan is to get to knot maul shelter (556.1)

Pics: pastoral views approaching Atkins, VA;
Owl, just before she was plowed down by a train (not really, I looked both ways, twice);
Boardwalk across bog beside the middle fork of the Holston river.

No comments:

Post a Comment