Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Monday may 6

ZERO DAY AT WOODS HOLE

We got up at 6am to pouring rain. We tip toed down stairs to the desk top computer (electricity but NO service for my phone) to check the weather. High in the low 50s, winds at 20 mph, rain constant with periods of heavy. None for me, thanks. Cancel that 7am shuttle and can we sign up for breakfast?

So I've been in my pjs and a fluffy robe. All day. I can zero with the best of them! I cracked 18 farm fresh eggs to go in the casserole (egg, homemade sausage, kale), peach crumble with home made yogurt, homemade bread with butter and homemade jam, fresh fruit,  home roasted coffee (I shit you not). I basically hung out all day, eating a combination of hiker food with pieces of homemade whatever thrown in. I'm saving the home made dinner until tomorrow night...I won't even feel like boiling water after hiking 20 miles. It'll probably still be raining, but will be a bit warmer and less windy. I've already had my split pea soup with ham at about 5pm and am saving my oatmeal for dessert. House dinner is at 7ish, so I'll go heat up the water at about 730 while they're eating so as not to interrupt prep or clean up.
M80, trooper, willow got here this afternoon. They hiked the same 20 miles we're going to do. Took them 8 hours of constant hiking (no rest stops). Hopefully we'll be faster with light packs.
Paisley & mr gigglefits; smiley; handstand; fig ;gumby;sugardrop & finder; sunshine &not yet; big Yank;rainbow braids is staying here for a few weeks working...what a cool deal.
We played bananagrams with rainbow braids and Stephen (he works here, too), read, took pics, watched it rain, saw Sadie the goat come in for wound care; Raven the 10 day old goat was missing, presumed dead, then found, ...
What a day. Who wants to hike?! I'll just stay here a bit.
Pics: view of the bunk house through the rainy screen; owl stained glass in kitchen; rainbow braids and Stephen;

No comments:

Post a Comment