Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Sunday may 5

Out of helveys mill  (589.2) at 730am rained a bit during the night and looks like it might rain some more. Nothing motivates me more than the threat of cold rain. I hauled booty and got to the next shelter (Jennys knob 599.0) at 11:15am (avg 2.6 mph with 2 breaks) zag showed up a bit later. We decided e could just get a shuttle to woods hole tonight and slack pack the 20 miles tomorrow. Who wants to walk and tent and walk done more with all wet gear and be cold and miserable? Not me! Neville from woods hole came and fetched us at VA 608 (600.2 can you believe we've walked that far?)
Now that I'm clean, warm and dry, I'm very glad we made this choice. It's cold, windy and rainy outside. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. We have our alarms set for 6am, leave here at 7, be hiking by 745...how long will it take too walk 20 miles with nothing in our pack except food, water, warmth? I'll be walking really fatty, with the sole purpose of returning to this wonderful place! This afternoon we ate homemade bread and mozzarella cheese, and a home made blueberry, raspberry, banana smoothie. Divine. For dinner, I had a banana, an apple and a cup of hot tea. After my shower, I removed the week old blister dressing from #4 right. Looks great where it was raw last Sunday, but all the loose skin around it will need to be trimmed off.
As far as tomorrow hours, I'm worried if zag can physically do 20 miles, but also about me being cold and wet and the fragility of #4 with 8 plus hours of hiking in the rain.  Miserable by any count. Ugh.
Pics: #4 before and after trimming the loose skin away

No comments:

Post a Comment