Saturday, May 25, 2013

Monday may 20

I hate to leave a perfectly good bed, air conditioner and shower...just seems wrong...especially when it's raining.
Daleville (723.5) to Wilson creek shelter (734.7)
Short of our goal of bobletts gap, but a strong thunderstorm is good motivation to hide out in the shelter with other smart people. We arrived there at 3pm. The shelter filled up as did the tent sites. We passed a group of college kids that were carrying 6 gallon jugs of water, 2 huge tents, lots of fresh veggies..one guy even had his trumpet. Young and energetic...and slow moving. But having a great time and also very entertaining for us thru hikers to watch!
"Trail days" is a huge annual gathering of thru hikers, supporters, and gear reps in Damascus, VA . The trail has been very quiet this week a many folks went down to trail days. Apparently all of them are starting out again in Daleville. There is a big bubble of hikers leaving town today.
  It is very much a family  reunion tonight. M80 & trooper & willow, Phoenix, Shutterbug&smiles,tallulah,...
Sugar bombs and finder hiked on after the rain as did rainbow braids (she made it out of woods hole hostel alive).

The first day out of town is always rough...legs are lazy, reloaded pack is heavy. I ate a truckload of food today to reduce my pack weight. The problem is that I go to the grocery store. I got a package of fig Newtons, some new peanut butter that has cinnamon, raisins, and granola IN the peanut butter. It's a great way to pack in some calories, protein and yummy taste...but it's heavy.
My joke today has been to ask everyone several times if they'd like a fig Newton as I have 2 pounds of them..I've had a few takers...
I love fig Newtons but probably shouldn't consume the entire package in 2 days....
   Wildlife spotting today:a big black snake slithering across the trail. I always thought I'd be able to hear their scales rustling the leaves...no way...not a sound as that big snake went off the trail into the leaves.....ugh.
Another first: had to take of my shoes today to ford rain swollen  Curry creek....I hiked on in my Crocs for a bit (up hill do I didn't jam my toenails)
It rained on and off today with the big thunderstorm this afternoon...so no pictures...I did take a video of us in the shelter watching it rain...come over and we'll have video night. 
Plan is to reach our original planned destination for tomorrow: Jennings creek.(751.4)

No comments:

Post a Comment