Thursday, May 9, 2013

Thursday may 2

Only 9 miles to chestnut knob shelter today. In my defense, my feet and toes (especially my right pinky toe) are killing me with every step. They are so unhappy about yesterday. Today's last 5 miles were uphill, carrying an extra 2L of water the last 1.5 miles as there is no reliable water source at the shelter. I walked with All the way and hammer today. It's fun to walk with someone new. We all have such different styles, strategies and paces. All the way is a 67 year old, retired Navy, diesel mechanic, married 43 years, wife is double lung transplant recipient ..amazing and nice guy. He had a lot of good stories today. Mostly about he and his wife.
Hammer is from the eastern shore of Virginia. Watchapreague is his hometown and it just so happens that I was there last year for a bicycle ride with my family! He's a man of the sea, for sure. Has had a boat since he was 7 (he saved $ from selling minnows, crabs and other creatures and bought it) and a commercial license since he was 9. Delightful guy. Walks fast but takes lots of breaks.

We got to the shelter early (about noon ish). That's my favorite way to hike: leave early, arrive early, have time to rest, talk, bathe and do laundry, laundry has time to dry in the sun &/or breeze. I removed all the tape from my toes (except the freshly raw #4 on the right), bathed them in toe sanitizer, powdered and allowed to air overnight. I now have blisters on the end caps of a few toes. I don't know if it's the new shoes or zags Dr scholls insoles. The insoles have kept my feet from feeling quite so beat up by the rocky terrain, but are they taking up too much room? Yesterday, I only wore ingenious socks (made by wigwam, liner sock woven in) and felt my right pinky toe hurting last night. So today I changed to separate liner socks with my new darn tough socks. No better and maybe worse? I don't know if I should switch back to the original shoe (3D ultra) or what. Important things, feet. Mine are not happy and are slowing me down. I walked too far yesterday with a full food bag. I've eaten a lot the past 2 days to lighten the load. I'm reconsidering my request for Andrea to send more food as my appetite is amazing. I just need to  plan short days after resupply.
Also at the shelter tonight: granbob;
"dons brother" (we met at the b&b in Damascus) His brother, Don, died last year from ALS,.This hike is a tribute to him. Touching story. Visit his website: donsbrother.com
Sammy and the guy he hikes with: two old guys that are really funny to watch and listen to. They make good hiker TV.

This shelter was remodeled in 1994. Looks like they changed it from a shed roof and added plexiglas panels. The roof is attached with steel cables and I found out why as the wind howled during the night. Wind in the mountains is an incredible force to reckon with. And these are just the Appalachian mountains!
All the way is convinced that his recent onset of lower end gas is caused by the electrolyte tablets he's started using.  You know, I bought some of those in Damascus and have used them a few times. But I'm gassy anyway...
Hope to get 10 miles to the next shelter tomorrow. It's been really nice to rest my feet this afternoon.

Pics: all the way & hammer; view to the east from 4409 ft ; chestnut knob shelter out & in.

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried A&D ointment on the feet in a.m. to prevent blisters?

    ReplyDelete